A person driving by Burton Community Church, or taking a stroll through this historic community, can’t help but notice the two magnificent Norway spruce that have grown tall since their planting in the 1920s. That was an important decade for the community and the church. The congregation was organized in 1893, members meeting in private homes until the building was ready in 1897. Down through the years there have been additions and modifications, but the church is still recognizable in photos that have survived the many decades. Folks in those early years didn’t travel about the island with the ease that so many do now, and many families wanted a church that would meet the needs of a growing and diverse community. With that in mind in 1928 the church was reorganized and renamed the Burton Community Church, members coming from many spiritual backgrounds.
This diversity of faith is still found within the congregation.
–Gordon Fisk, Church Member
Copyright 2009 Burton Church. All rights reserved.